Join us for the Des Moines Symphony’s 23rd annual Yankee Doodle Pops, Iowa’s largest single-day concert event! This family-friendly and patriotic concert concludes with the area’s premier fireworks display over the downtown Des Moines skyline, and best of all, it’s FREE! Bring your picnic baskets, blankets and lawn chairs, or purchase food from an array of vendors at the concert. Participate in the Yankee Doodle Drive Against Hunger by bringing a non-perishable food item to the concert, and receive a discount offer for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2016-17 Masterworks Season.
This year’s program, The Sound of America, features music that evokes the sights and sounds of our great country. Following his much-lauded performance at 2015’s record-breaking Yankee Doodle Pops, Broadway baritone Hugh Panaro (The Phantom of the Opera, Les Misérables) is back to sing selections from The Music Man and West Side Story along with patriotic classics like God Bless America. The Des Moines Symphony will perform time-honored favorites including the traditional Armed Forces Salute, The Stars and Stripes Forever, and the 1812 Overture with live Howitzer cannons.
FREE! No tickets required.
6:30pm: Concert Prelude featuring the Turner Center Jazz Orchestra
8:30pm: Des Moines Symphony’s 23rd annual Yankee Doodle Pops concert
Live broadcast and streaming; rebroadcast
- Iowa Public Radio Classical will broadcast live from the concert and livestream the concert at iowapublicradio.org
- Mediacom will rebroadcast the concert on channel MC22 at 7 p.m. July 2 & 3.
- DART will detour its FREE D-Line shuttle and extend its hours to 11 p.m. on July 1 to accommodate Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops attendees. Click the map below to view the shuttle route:
- Parking is available in designated downtown lots around the Capitol (lots 1-6, 11-12, 15-17, 20) – click here to see map
- The following roads will be closed during the following times:
- Penn/East 7th Street – Locust Street to Grand Avenue (8:30 a.m. Thu Jun 30 – 2 a.m. Sat Jul 2)
- Grand Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (noon Thu Jun 30 – midnight Fri Jul 1)
- Locust Street Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (9:30-10:30 p.m. Fri Jul 1 [during fireworks])
- Capitol lots 9 & 10 (near the intersection of Grand and Finkbine) will be available for handicapped parking. Only those with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking tags or plates will be allowed in these lots. Click here to see map
- A drop off for those with physical disabilities is located at the corner of Grand Avenue and East 9th (Finkbine) Street.
- Additional handicapped parking spots may be available in Capitol lots 1, 2, 8, 11, 15, 19, 24, PS1.
- Boy Scouts Troop 141: Bottled water
- Brandmeyer Popcorn: Kettle corn, gourmet popcorn, soda, water
- Willie’s BBQ: Brisket, ribs, hot dogs, brats, pulled pork, potatoes
- Hy-Vee: Burgers, brats, hot dogs, soda
- Big Red Food Truck: Fry bread, cheeseballs, fresh squeezed lemonade, strawberry shortcake, mini donuts, pork loin sandwich
- Nitro Ice Cream: Ice cream made on site in cones or cups
- Roadside Tacos: Beef, steak and chicken tacos & burritos, quesadillas, soda, water
- Over the Top Ice Cream: Handmade ice cream cones & cups
- Nagi’s Falafel: Grilled chicken sandwiches, Philly steak, Italian sausage sandwiches, gyros, and falafel served on a pita
- Rita’s: Italian ice, custard, water
- Old Man Chance: Tenderloin, fries, corndogs, chicken strips, fresh squeezed lemonade, water/soda
- For on-site medical needs, please visit the medical unit on Finkbine or a uniformed on-site police officer.
- For safety and security needs or concerns, please visit the Iowa State Patrol Command Center on Finkbine or notify a uniformed on-site police officer.
- Members of the Iowa National Guard will set off four howitzer cannons, as designated in the musical score, during Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. The cannons will be located in the west corner of the triangle bounded by the Public Safety Parking lot, Walnut Street and Finkbine.
|NO audio or video recording devices||YES all ages welcome|
|NO smoking||YES picnic baskets|
|NO illegal drugs||YES blankets|
|NO laser pens or similar focused light||YES strollers|
|NO fireworks||YES lawn chairs|
|NO sparklers||YES dogs on leashes|
|NO bicycles in Capitol grass/gardens||YES sunglasses|
|NO unlicensed vending||YES hats|
|NO weapons||YES sun block|