West Terrace, Iowa State Capitol
Join us for the Des Moines Symphony’s 24th annual Yankee Doodle Pops, Iowa’s largest single-day concert event! This family-friendly and patriotic concert concludes with the area’s premier fireworks display over the downtown Des Moines skyline, and best of all, it’s FREE! Bring your picnic baskets, blankets and lawn chairs, or purchase food from an array of vendors at the concert. Participate in the Yankee Doodle Drive Against Hunger by bringing a non-perishable food item to the concert, and receive a discount offer for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2017-18 Masterworks Season.
This year’s program, An American Journey, features music that evokes the sights and sounds of our great country. The Des Moines Symphony will perform time-honored favorites including the traditional Armed Forces Salute, The Stars and Stripes Forever, and the 1812 Overture with live Howitzer cannons.
FREE! No tickets required.
6:30pm: Concert Prelude
8:30pm: Des Moines Symphony’s 24th annual Yankee Doodle Pops concert
Live Broadcast and Streaming
- Iowa Public Radio Classical will broadcast live from the concert and livestream the concert at iowapublicradio.org
- Mediacom will rebroadcast the concert on channel MC22.
- Park and ride to Yankee Doodle Pops! DART will detour its FREE D-Line shuttle and extend its hours to 11 p.m. on July 3 to accommodate Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops attendees. Click the map below to view the shuttle route.
- The Des Moines Bicycle Collective will offer a FREE bike valet on the Capitol grounds for Yankee Doodle Pops from 5:30-10:30pm. Click here for more information.
- Limited parking is available in designated downtown lots around the Capitol.
- Due to street closures and limited parking around the Capitol, we recommend using the FREE D-Line Shuttle or Bike Valet services
- Limited parking is available in designated downtown lots around the Capitol (lots 1-6, 11-12, 15-17, 20) – click here to see map
- The following roads will be closed during the following times:
- Penn/East 7th Street – Locust Street to Grand Avenue (8:30 a.m. Sun Jul 2 – 3 a.m. Tue Jul 4)
- Locust Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue Mon Jul 3 9:30-10:30pm [during fireworks]
- Grand Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (closed for construction)
- Court Ave Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (12:00pm Mon Jul 3 – 12:00am Tue Jul 4)
- Capitol lots 9 & 10 (near the intersection of Grand and Finkbine) will be available for handicapped parking. Only those with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking tags or plates will be allowed in these lots. Click here to see map
- A drop off for those with physical disabilities is located at the corner of Grand Avenue and East 9th (Finkbine) Street.
- Additional handicapped parking spots may be available in Capitol lots 1, 2, 8, 11, 15, 19, 24, PS1.
Food vendors (on Finkbine)
- Benoit Concessions: Cheese curds, tenderloins, corn dogs, chicken strips, fries, potato ribbons, lemonade, water
- Big Daddy’s Bar-B-Q: Pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, cold soft drinks, chips
- Boy Scout Troop 141: Bottled water
- Brandmeyer Popcorn: Kettle corn, gourmet popcorn, soda, water
- Hy-Vee: Burgers, brats, hot dogs, soda
- McSweets & Snacks: Funnel cakes, Frito pie, nachos, fruit cups, sno-cones, cotton candy, popcorn, water, soda
- Miss Molly’s Jamaican Patty: Jamaican beef & vegetarian patties, festival dumplings, pineapple loaded pork
- Nagi’s Falafel: Chicken gyro sandwiches, falafel sandwiches
- Nitro Ice Cream: Ice cream made on site with toppings
- The Outside Scoop: Seven ice creams, root beer floats
- Rita’s of West Des Moines: Italian ice, frozen custard, gelati, water
- Roadside Tacos: Tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, walking tacos
- Wild Bill’s Soda: Stainless steel mug with unlimited soda refills from old-fashioned barrel taps
- Willie’s BBQ: Brisket, ribs, hot dogs, brats, pulled pork, potatoes
- For on-site medical needs, please visit the medical unit on Finkbine or a uniformed on-site police officer.
- For safety and security needs or concerns, please visit the Iowa State Patrol Command Center on Finkbine or notify a uniformed on-site police officer.
- Members of the Iowa National Guard will set off four howitzer cannons, as designated in the musical score, during Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. The cannons will be located in the west corner of the triangle bounded by the Public Safety Parking lot, Walnut Street and Finkbine.
|NO fireworks or firecrackers||YES all ages welcome|
|NO audio or video recording devices||YES picnic baskets|
|NO smoking||YES blankets|
|NO illegal drugs||YES strollers|
|NO laser pens or similar focused light||YES lawn chairs|
|NO sparklers||YES dogs on leashes|
|NO bicycles in Capitol grass/gardens||YES sunglasses|
|NO unlicensed vending||YES hats|
|NO weapons||YES sun block|