West Terrace, Iowa State Capitol
Join us for the Des Moines Symphony’s 25th annual Yankee Doodle Pops, Iowa’s largest single-day concert event! This family-friendly and patriotic concert concludes with the area’s premier fireworks display over the downtown Des Moines skyline, and best of all, it’s FREE! Bring your picnic baskets, blankets and lawn chairs, or purchase food from an array of vendors at the concert.
This year’s program, Simon Sings America, features Iowa native and internationally-acclaimed opera singer Simon Estes singing classics of the American songbook from Ol’ Man River to God Bless America. The Des Moines Symphony will perform time-honored, patriotic favorites including the Armed Forces Salute, The Stars and Stripes Forever, and the 1812 Overture with live Howitzer cannons and fireworks.
The winner of the Des Moines Symphony’s ninth annual “Oh Say, Can You Sing?” Competition, to be selected on June 23 during the Des Moines Arts Festival, will open Yankee Doodle Pops with The Star-Spangled Banner.
Participate in the Yankee Doodle Drive Against Hunger by bringing a non-perishable food item to the concert, and receive a discount offer for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2018-2019 Masterworks Season.
FREE! No tickets required.
6:30pm: Concert Prelude
8:30pm: Des Moines Symphony’s 25th annual Yankee Doodle Pops concert
Live Broadcast and Streaming
- Iowa Public Radio Classical will broadcast live from the concert and livestream the concert at iowapublicradio.org
- Mediacom will broadcast the concert live at 8pm on July 2, and will rebroadcast the concert at 8pm on Tuesday, July 3 and Wednesday, July 4 on channel MC22.
- Park and ride to Yankee Doodle Pops! DART will detour its FREE D-Line shuttle and extend its hours to 11 p.m. on July 2 to accommodate Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops attendees.
- The Des Moines Bicycle Collective will offer a FREE bike valet on the Capitol grounds for Yankee Doodle Pops. The bike valet will be open 5:30-10:30pm.
- Due to street closures and limited parking around the Capitol, we recommend using the FREE D-Line Shuttle or Bike Valet services.
- Limited parking is available in designated downtown lots around the Capitol. The public is welcome to park in all lots with the exception of 13 and 21 – click here to see map
- The following roads will be closed during the following times:
- Penn/East 7thStreet – Locust Street to Grand Avenue (8:30 a.m. Sun Jul 1 – 3 a.m. Tue Jul 3)
- Locust Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2ndAvenue Mon Jul 2 9:30-10:30pm [during fireworks]
- Grand Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (12:00pm Mon Jul 2 – 12:00am Tue Jul 3)
- Court Ave Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (closed for construction)
- Capitol lots 9 & 10 (near the intersection of Grand and Finkbine) will be available for handicapped parking. Only those with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking tags or plates will be allowed in these lots. Click here to see map
- A drop off for those with physical disabilities is located at the corner of Grand Avenue and East 9th (Finkbine) Street.
- Additional handicapped parking spots may be available in Capitol lots 1, 2, 8, 11, 15, 19, 24, PS1.
Food vendors (on Finkbine)
- Benoit Concessions: Cheese curds, tenderloins, corn dogs, chicken strips, fries, tater ribbon chips, lemonade
- Boy Scouts Troop 141: Bottled water, cookies
- Brandmeyer Popcorn: Kettle corn, gourmet popcorn, soda, water
- Hotsy Totsy (Big Red Food Truck): Tater tot-themed food truck serving Truffle Tots, Loaded Baked Potato, Brisket Tots, Nacho Tots
- Hy-Vee: Burgers, brats, hot dogs, chips, soda, bottled water
- Over the Top Ice Cream: Ice cream cones or cups
- The Outside Scoop: Ice cream cones or cups
- Rita’s of West Des Moines: Italian ice, frozen custard, gelati
- Roadside Tacos: Tacos, burritos, nachos, walking tacos
- Wild Bill’s Old-Fashioned Soda: Seven flavors of fountain soda
- Willie’s BBQ: Brisket, ribs, pulled pork, turkey legs
- For on-site medical needs, please visit the medical unit on Finkbine or a uniformed on-site police officer.
- For safety and security needs or concerns, please visit the Iowa State Patrol Command Center on Finkbine or notify a uniformed on-site police officer.
- Members of the Iowa National Guard will set off four howitzer cannons, as designated in the musical score, during Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. The cannons will be located in the west corner of the triangle bounded by the Public Safety Parking lot, Walnut Street and Finkbine.
|NO fireworks or firecrackers||YES all ages welcome|
|NO audio or video recording devices||YES picnic baskets|
|NO alcohol||YES blankets|
|NO smoking or illegal drugs||YES strollers|
|NO laser pens or similar focused light||YES lawn chairs|
|NO sparklers||YES dogs on leashes|
|NO bicycles in Capitol grass/gardens||YES sunglasses|
|NO unlicensed vending||YES hats|
|NO weapons||YES sun block|