Whether it’s investing in our musicians, faculty, concerts and programs or increasing access to extraordinary, live musical experiences and educational opportunities for all Central Iowans, our success is because of you. Here are just some of the things you helped us accomplish with your gift to the Des Moines Symphony & Academy.
From all of us at the Des Moines Symphony & Academy–our board members, musicians, faculty and staff: thank you.
Our 2016-2017 Impact: By the Numbers
Strengthen our investment in Des Moines’ cultural and economic vitality through excellence in performing arts and education.
- More than 130,000 attendees for Masterworks, Pops, Youth and Family concerts
- Employing more than 100 highly engaged Des Moines Symphony musicians and faculty
- World-renowned guest artists and conductors along with many other collaborative artists
Broader and more engaged audiences through new, media-rich and innovative concerts and programs
- Tony and Emmy Award winner Kristin Chenoweth presented in collaboration with Des Moines Performing Arts
- Sixth annual Beyond the Score collaboration with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra: Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique
- The World Premiere of American Gothic: Music + Art with original cinematography created by Iowa filmmaker John Richard to accompany Michael Daugherty’s American Gothic for orchestra
- 24th Annual Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops concert performed for more than 100,000 on the Iowa State Capitol lawn
Increased access to high quality performances, education and instruction for Central Iowa youth and families
- Hundreds of youth served through the Water Works collaboration with Des Moines Art Center, Science Center of Iowa and DanzArts and our partnership with the Boys & Girls Club of Central Iowa
- 550 students per week learning through private and group lessons and ensembles
- More than $40,000 in scholarships awarded to aspiring young musicians
- Academy students performed in more than 45 concerts, recitals and master classes
- More than 4,000 Iowa 4th and 5th graders attended the Des Moines Symphony’s annual Youth Concerts
- Tickets valued at more than $10,000 given to area youth- and family-serving organizations