We are seeking an energetic and passionate Events Assistant who thrives both in team settings and in independent work, is highly self-motivated and able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines. The assistant should have a passion for events and event execution and be enthusiastic about providing outstanding customer and donor service.
This position is a 15 hours/week commitment that begins in March and will conclude at the end of September. We are seeking applicants who can commit to this position for the duration of our events season. Specific work hours and location (remote or in-office) are flexible and can be tailored to your availability. Additional hours (including evenings and weekends) and being on-site will be required on event days.
Currently enrolled college students or recent graduates are encouraged to apply. We are open to supporting this as a paid internship experience.
The Events Assistant is responsible for the coordination and execution of the organization’s 2022 fundraising events including: Musician Appreciation (May 7), Viewing Party for Yankee Doodle Pops (July 1), Water Works Pops (Labor Day Weekend) and Opening Night (September 24).
The assistant will:
- Coordinate event logistics and monitor event timelines to ensure all elements of the event are delivered on time and in a quality fashion
- Oversee production of all event materials (letters, invitations, posters, etc.)
- Deliver communications and promotions for events including direct mail, email and social media
- Serve as organization contact for event venues and vendor relationships
- Provide corporate sponsor fulfillment and other partner obligations
- Coordinate and track event attendance using the donor database
- Oversee on-site logistics day-of-event
- Monitor budgets and forecast income and expenses for each event
- Close out events, conduct post-event debrief, assure all donor information is updated in databases, conduct any follow-up required with stakeholders
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including an ability to communicate clearly in verbal and written forms
- Able to forge and maintain relationships with event stakeholders with a strong focus on quality customer service
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously as well as contributing to a cohesive team environment
- Able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Strong computer skills and ability to use technology to achieve desired results
- Experience with planning and executing events is a plus
The Des Moines Symphony is a not-for-profit, professional orchestra formed in 1937 to enrich, educate and inspire the community by performing great orchestral music. The Symphony Association, governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees and operating on an annual budget of more than $4.6 million, supports the Symphony Academy and its numerous music education programs including four youth orchestras, and supports the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra which performs seven pairs of Masterworks concerts, a three-concert Pops Series including the traditional New Year’s Eve Pops, education, outreach and family concerts, and other special events in its home at the Des Moines Civic Center. The Des Moines Symphony also produces and performs a summertime Water Works Pops series as well as the Symphony’s annual Yankee Doodle Pops concert in July on the grounds of the Iowa State Capitol, which attracts more than 100,000, the largest single day attendance of any concert event in the State.
The position pays $13 - $15/hour depending on experience and may be used for college credit. Free downtown parking will be provided.
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to Amanda Milloy, Development Coordinator at email@example.com by Wednesday February 2. Applications may be submitted after the deadline, but those received by February 2 will be prioritized.