West Terrace, Iowa State Capitol
FREE! No tickets required.
Interested in volunteering? Sign up here!
Join us for the Des Moines Symphony’s 21st annual Yankee Doodle Pops, Iowa’s largest single-day concert event! This year’s theme is Our Greatest Generation — Honoring America’s Heroes. This family-friendly and patriotic concert concludes with the area’s premier fireworks display over the downtown Des Moines skyline, and best of all, it’s FREE! Bring your picnic baskets, blankets and lawn chairs, or purchase food from an array of vendors at the concert.
- Iowa Public Radio will broadcast the concert live, and Mediacom will rebroadcast the concert.
- A Jazz in July Prelude Concert, featuring Parranderos Latin Combo, begins at 6:30 p.m.
- Participate in the Yankee Doodle Drive Against Hunger by bringing a non-perishable food item to the concert, and receive a discount offer for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2014-2015 Masterworks Season.
- Handicapped parking is available in State Lot 10, near the intersection of Grand and Finkbine.
PROGRAM: Our Greatest Generation — Honoring America’s Heroes
(Program subject to change)
Joseph Giunta, conducting
KEY/ Arr. Damrosch The Star-Spangled Banner
John WILLIAMS/ Arr. Custer Summon the Heroes
GOULD American Salute (When Johnny Comes Marching Home)
Iowa’s Own / A Salute to Glenn Miller and the USO
Arr. Holcombe American Patrol
Arr. Holcombe Moonlight Serenade
Arr. Holcombe In The Mood
Traditional/ Arr. Holcombe Armed Forces Salute
HOME BASE IOWA – VETERANS INITIATIVE Gov. Terry Branstad
John WILLIAMS Midway March
John WILLIAMS Hymn to the Fallen
John WILLIAMS Liberty Fanfare
BERLIN/ Arr. Healy God Bless America
TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Overture
SOUSA Hands Across the Sea
BAGLEY National Emblem March
SOUSA The Stars & Stripes Forever
FOOD VENDORS (on Finkbine):
- DART will detour its FREE D-Line shuttle and extend its hours to 11 p.m. on July 3 to accommodate Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops attendees. View a map of the FREE extended DART D-Line shuttle route here.
- Parking is available in designated downtown lots around the Capitol (lots 1-6, 11-12, 15-17, 20)
- Capitol lots 9 & 10 will be available for handicapped parking. Only those with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking tags or plates will be allowed in these lots.
- A drop off for those with physical disabilities is located at the corner of Grand Avenue and East 9th (Finkbine) Street.
- Additional handicapped parking spots may be available in Capitol lots 1, 2, 8, 11, 15, 19, 24, PS1.
- For on-site medical needs, please visit the medical unit on Finkbine or a uniformed on-site police officer.
- For safety and security needs or concerns, please visit the Iowa State Patrol Command Center on Finkbine or notify a uniformed on-site police officer.
- Members of the Iowa National Guard will set off four howitzer cannons, as designated in the musical score, during Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Oveture. The cannons will be located in the west corner of the triangle bounded by the Public Safety Parking lot, Walnut Street and Finkbine.
|NO alcohol||YES all ages welcome|
|NO audio or video recording devices||YES cell phones|
|NO smoking||YES digital cameras|
|NO laser pens or similar focused light||YES fanny packs/purses|
|NO musical instruments||YES film cameras|
|NO sparklers||YES hats|
|NO fireworks||YES picnic baskets|
|NO frisbees||YES blankets|
|NO illegal drugs/paraphernalia||YES strollers|
|NO bicycles in Capitol grass/gardens||YES dogs on leashes|
|NO unlicensed vending||YES sun block|
|NO weapons||YES sunglasses|
|NO distribution of flyers/paraphernalia||YES great energy/big smiles|