West Terrace, Iowa State Capitol
Join us for the Des Moines Symphony’s 26th annual Yankee Doodle Pops, Iowa’s largest single-day concert event! This family-friendly and patriotic concert concludes with the area’s premier fireworks display over the downtown Des Moines skyline, and best of all, it’s FREE! Bring your picnic baskets, blankets and lawn chairs, or purchase food from an array of vendors at the concert.
The winner of the Des Moines Symphony’s tenth annual “Oh Say, Can You Sing?” Competition, to be selected on June 29 during the Des Moines Arts Festival, will open Yankee Doodle Pops with The Star-Spangled Banner.
Participate in the Yankee Doodle Drive Against Hunger by bringing a non-perishable food item to the concert, and receive a discount offer for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2019-2020 Masterworks Season.
FREE! No tickets required.
6:30PM: Concert Prelude
8:30PM: Des Moines Symphony’s 26th annual Yankee Doodle Pops concert
Live Broadcast and Streaming
- Iowa Public Radio Classical will broadcast live from the concert and livestream the concert at iowapublicradio.org
- Mediacom will broadcast the concert live at 8PM on July 3, and will rebroadcast the concert at 8PM on Thursday, July 4 and Friday, July 5 on channel MC22.
- Park and ride to Yankee Doodle Pops! DART will detour its FREE D-Line shuttle and extend its hours to 11PM on July 3 to accommodate Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops attendees.
- Click here to view the DART map for Yankee Doodle Pops.
- The Des Moines Bicycle Collective will offer a FREE bike valet on the Capitol grounds for Yankee Doodle Pops. The bike valet will be open 5:30-10:30PM.
- Due to street closures and limited parking around the Capitol, we recommend using the FREE D-Line Shuttle or Bike Valet services.
- Limited parking is available in designated downtown lots around the Capitol. The public is welcome to park in all lots with the exception of 13 and 21 – click here to see map
- The following roads will be closed during the following times:
- Penn/East 7thStreet – Locust Street to Grand Avenue (8:30AM Tue Jul 2 – 3AM Thu Jul 4)
- Locust Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (closed for construction)
- Grand Avenue Bridge – Robert Ray Drive to 2nd Avenue (12:00PM Wed Jul 3 – 12:00AM Thu Jul 4)
- Capitol lots 9 & 10 (near the intersection of Grand and Finkbine) will be available for handicapped parking. Only those with ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking tags or plates will be allowed in these lots. Click here to see map
- A drop off for those with physical disabilities is located at the corner of Grand Avenue and East 9th (Finkbine) Street.
- Additional handicapped parking spots may be available in Capitol lots 1, 2, 8, 11, 15, 19, 24, PS1.
Food vendors (on Finkbine)
- Benoit Concessions: Cheese curds, tater ribbons, giant tenderloins, chicken strips, fries, corn dogs, lemonade
- Big Red Food Truck: Fried tacos, jumbo walking taco boats, shrimp tacos, beef and lamb gyros, mozzarella sticks, fresh squeezed lemonade
- Boy Scouts Troop 141: Bottled water
- Brandmeyer Popcorn: Kettle corn, gourmet popcorn, roasted nuts, soda, water
- Hy-Vee: Burgers, brats, hot dogs, chips, soda, bottled water
- Over the Top Ice Cream: Ice cream cones or cups
- Pacific Rim Noodle House: Fresh soba noodles wokked with all fresh veggies, garlic, fresh ginger, & tossed in house blue-ribbon finishing sauce, fresh squeezed lemonade, lavender lemonade, limeade
- Rita’s of West Des Moines: Italian ice, frozen custard, gelati
- Roadside Tacos: Street tacos, walking tacos, nachos
- The Outside Scoop: Ice cream cones or cups
- Wild Bill’s Olde-Fashioned Soda Pop: Nine flavors of fountain soda, daily refills with mug purchase
- Willie’s BBQ: Ribs, pulled pork, brisket, hot dogs, brats, turkey legs
- Wings and More: Walking tacos, hot dogs, water, gatorade
- For on-site medical needs, please visit the medical unit on Finkbine or a uniformed on-site police officer.
- For safety and security needs or concerns, please visit the Iowa State Patrol Command Center on Finkbine or notify a uniformed on-site police officer.
- Members of the Iowa National Guard will set off four howitzer cannons, as designated in the musical score, during Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture. The cannons will be located in the west corner of the triangle bounded by the Public Safety Parking lot, Walnut Street and Finkbine.
|NO fireworks or firecrackers||YES all ages welcome|
|NO audio or video recording devices||YES picnic baskets|
|NO alcohol||YES blankets|
|NO smoking or illegal drugs||YES strollers|
|NO laser pens or similar focused light||YES lawn chairs|
|NO sparklers||YES dogs on leashes|
|NO bicycles in Capitol grass/gardens||YES sunglasses|
|NO unlicensed vending||YES hats|
|NO weapons||YES sun block|