The Des Moines Symphony Academy is seeking a string education specialist to join our Beginning Strings Program Teaching Faculty
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out Curriculum designed by the Symphony Academy and lead weekly classes of 3-4 young musicians per class. Evening availability is required for this position, with classes beginning as early as 3:00pm
- Establish and maintain a working class schedule accommodating students enrolled in pre-school programs
- Work with Symphony Academy Managing Director to continually nurture the growth and improvement of the program
- Meet regularly with Beginning Strings Program Manager and fellow instructors to discuss the direction and development of the program
- Attend promotional/recruitment community events as needed
Ideal Candidate Will Have/Be
- Music education professional who is a violinist, violist and/or cellist. A degree in music is mandatory, with music education preferred
- Ability to start young students on violin, viola and cello
- Knowledge and experience with the Suzuki method of string instruction. Formal Suzuki training is not a pre-requisite for this position
- Ability to successfully promote themselves and our Beginning Strings Program, including effectively communicating the value of starting instruction on a string instrument at our targeted age
Any interested candidate will be highly encouraged to take an audition for the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra's auditioned extras list. All candidate finalists will be asked to perform a brief msuical selection as part of their interview. Candidate may also be asked to lead a sample class on request.
Compensation: $34.48 per 45 minute class (9 total classes per semester)
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicant screening process to begin immediately.