The Des Moines Symphony Academy is seeking a string education specialist to join our Beginning Strings Program Teaching Faculty
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out curriculum designed by the Symphony Academy and lead weekly classes of 3-5 young musicians per class. Evening availability is required for this position, with classes beginning as early as 3:00pm.
- Establish and maintain a working class schedule accommodating students enrolled in pre-school programs.
- Work with Academy Strings Education Coordinator to continually nurture the growth and improvement of the program.
- Meet regularly with Academy Strings Education Coordinator and fellow Instructors to discuss the direction and development of the program.
- Assist with Instrument Petting Zoos and other promotional/recruitment events as needed.
Ideal Candidate Will Have/Be
- Music education professional who is a violinist, violist and/or cellist. A degree in music is mandatory with music education preferred.
- Ability to start young students on violin or cello.
- Knowledge and experience with the Suzuki method of string instruction. Formal Suzuki training is not a pre-requisite for this position.
- Ability to successfully promote themselves and our Beginning Strings Program, including effectively communicating the value of starting instruction on a string instrument at our targeted age.
Any interested candidate will be highly encouraged to take an audition for the Des Moines Symphony Orchestra's auditioned extras list. All candidate finalists will be asked to perform a brief msuical selection as part of their interview. Candidate may also be asked to lead a sample class on request.
Compensation: $36.57 per 45 minute class (2021-2022 compensation rates)
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to Joshua Barlage, Managing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicant screening process to begin immediately.