The mission of the Des Moines Symphony & Academy is to create extraordinary, live musical experiences and outstanding educational opportunities. We will engage, enrich, educate and inspire a broad and diverse audience in Central Iowa with excellent teaching, innovative programming and performances of great symphonic music played at the highest professional standards resources allow.
Our Strategic Plan guides our organization in four key areas.
Grow and Strengthen Our Artistic Standard of Excellence
- Perform strong, innovative, and media-rich programs that include important works and important emerging and established guest artists
- Support a high-quality performance venue
- Increase performance opportunities for musicians
- Continue to make the Orchestra appealing to accomplished, professional musicians from a local, regional, and national pool
Develop an Expanded and Diverse Audience
- Increase programming that reflects Central Iowa’s increasingly diverse and growing population
- Create affordable, accessible and inclusive opportunities for audiences to engage with the Symphony & Academy
- Invest in digital tools and social media to further engage with our existing audiences and reach potential new audiences
- Create unique, in-person opportunities for under-represented segments of our audience to interact with the Symphony & Academy and collaborate with other community organizations when appropriate
- Continue innovating the concert experience to welcome new audiences while serving our core audience
Engage with our community
- Increase community awareness of the Symphony & Academy
- Create opportunities to take the Symphony & Academy to the community
- Grow appreciation for symphonic music, music education and the value of the arts in Central Iowa
- Continue providing under-served and vulnerable children and families access to Des Moines Symphony & Academy programs
Grow Intensive, One-of-a-Kind Music Education Opportunities
- Provide unique, rewarding learning and performance opportunities
- Engage highly qualified music educators and professional musicians to serve as faculty
- Provide a safe and nurturing learning environment
- Expand awareness through relationships with area musicians, parents and schools
Where We Stand
The Des Moines Symphony & Academy stands with those calling for inclusion, diversity, equity and justice. We strongly believe music and art can bring people together and heal a community. We pledge to listen, to learn, and to use our platform to inspire profound social change by engaging diverse artists, making equitable programming decisions, and broadening our community reach. We stand in solidarity with those who are fighting for a more equal and just future. Black lives matter.
We invite you to explore the following resources to learn more about these important issues.