The Des Moines Symphony seeks an energetic, motivated and creative self-starter with strong organizational skills to serve as a summer intern. The Marketing Intern will be an integral part of the Des Moines Symphony’s Marketing Department for the summer of 2020, working directly with the Director of Marketing & Public Relations, Marketing Manager, and the rest of the Symphony staff.
- Event Planning & Management
- Assist in the organization of the annual “Oh Say, Can You Sing?” competition
- Manage day-of and logistical details for the Des Moines Symphony’s Yankee Doodle Pops, Water Works Pops, and any additional summer concerts
- Season Marketing & Public Relations
- Draft copy for event descriptions, marketing materials and press releases
- Maintain and regularly update website and blog
- Assist with social media and PR tasks in preparation for the Des Moines Symphony’s 2020-21 season
- Season Renewals
- Use PatronManager, DMSO’s customer database, to record subscription renewal campaign data and manage customer lists
- Initiate follow-up phone calls and emails to patrons to assist with season renewals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a strong eye for detail
- Well-organized and able to work independently
- Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent customer service skills via phone and email correspondence
- Proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel as well as various social media platforms
- Interest in nonprofit work, music, and/or arts management
The Symphony’s Marketing Department is responsible for maintaining the Des Moines Symphony brand, providing customer service to Symphony patrons, expanding community outreach efforts, growing social media reach and managing all Des Moines Symphony & Academy public relations efforts. From day one, the Marketing Intern will receive hands-on experience related to nonprofit arts management, subscriber-relations, event management, and season planning.
The Marketing Intern position is a 15 hour/week commitment running June 1-August 14. Specific work hours are flexible and can be tailored to your availability. Some daytime & evening availability is required for special events on Saturday, June 27; Thursday, July 2; and the weekend of July 23-26. This is an unpaid position which may be used for college credit. Free downtown parking will be provided.