The Des Moines Symphony Academy is seeking a piano education specialist to join our Group Piano Program Teaching Faculty
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead forty-five minute classes of up to four beginning piano students, which includes presenting lesson information, facilitating games and activities, creating and maintaining a positive classroom dynamic and building a strong rapport with students and their parents
- Prepare lessons for classes based on the in-house curriculum designed by the Symphony Academy. Every class presenets a unique learning environment and the instructor must be confident making changes and enhancements to ensure that various learning styles are well served
- Meet regularly (twice per semester) with Symphony Academy Managing Director and fell instructors to discuss the direction and development of the program
- Attend Symphony Academy sponsored promotional/recruitment events as needed
Ideal Candidate Will Have/Be
- Music education professional who has studeid piano. A degree in music is mandatory, with music education coursework preferred
- Have the experience and/or desire to start children as young as three years old on piano in small groups. We believe that the components of small group learning environments wuch as peer interaction, varied activities, measurable achievements and performance opportunities, establish and maintain the enthusiasm and discipline students need to achieve musical fluency
- Ability to promote our Group Piano Program's mission, including the value and educational benefits to children of starting musical instruction at a young age and providing the needed fundamentals for lifelong musicianship
All candidate finalists will be asked to interview with the Group Piano Program Faculty and teach a sample lesson.
Compensation: $34.48 per 45-minute class (9 total classes per semester)
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applicant screening process to begin immediately.