The Des Moines Symphony is committed to the health and safety of our audiences, musicians, and staff. We are closely monitoring information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO), and local and state authorities in regard to COVID-19, and we are taking steps to limit transmission of the virus at our upcoming Symphony events.
Des Moines Performing Arts, the organization that manages the Des Moines Civic Center, maintains high standards for both general cleaning and disinfection across all of its venues. DMPA’s Guest Services team is taking extra precautions when preparing the Civic Center for events, including:
- The placement of extra hand-sanitizing stations
- Regularly scheduled sanitization of key surface areas including handrails, doorknobs, countertops and other frequently used locations
- Additional restroom checks to ensure equipment is operational and sanitized
While there are currently no changes to our upcoming Symphony events, we encourage those who feel unwell or who may be at increased risk to stay home. Any guest may return their ticket to the Des Moines Symphony as a charitable donation; please contact the Des Moines Performing Arts Ticket Office at 515.246.2300 for assistance or questions about your tickets.
We encourage our audiences to use the CDC’s preventive hygiene guidance to limit the spread of respiratory diseases including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
The Des Moines Symphony will diligently monitor the situation and is prepared to take any further actions recommended by government agencies.